The recent bushfires in the NSW South Coast area have generated many incredible stories of heroic actions and generous deeds.
These stories are reflected in our own Banksia community, and we want to express our heartfelt thanks to so many amazing people who truly went ‘’above and beyond” to assist in so many ways. These include, in no particular order:
- The Banksia staff members who voluntarily stayed for incredibly long shifts, despite having their own families and homes to look after, to support Banksia Lodge residents.
- The extraordinary volunteers (including many family members of our residents and staff) who gave up their time to faithfully support our Lodge residents and keep them comfortable. Some of these people stayed for several nights.
- Our residents and clients and their families for their patience and resilience, and for their cheerfulness and positive attitude throughout the experience.
- The Banksia Village Fire Wardens, who competently supported village residents who chose to stay on site during the bushfires.
- The Banksia staff who came to work regardless of the fact their own home was damaged or destroyed in the fires.
- The Banksia staff who undertook tasks outside their normal duties or in their own time to ensure gaps were filled and there was continuity, consistency and uninterrupted service for our residents.
- Our neighbours in the Broulee area who dropped in with generous donations of food and gave their time to help in so many other ways.
- Local businesses, like IGA Tomakin, Tomakin Sports and Social Club, and Coles in Batemans Bay who all donated goods and helped keep the Banksia Lodge kitchen supplied with plenty of delicious food, and the staff who helped co-ordinate these donations. Also, Broulee Supermarket and Cellars, who provided much needed supplies of disposable plates and cups when power outages meant that dishwashing machines could not be used.
- The Banksia Village residents who were an amazing source of support for each other, and who provided volunteer support in both the Village and at the Lodge, assisted with transport for Village residents, and helped get back to normal routine.
- Everyone who sent messages of support and offers to help.
- And of course the RFS, who have done so much and who continue to work so hard to ensure our safety.
All of these contributions are truly extraordinary, in a truly extraordinary time in the history of Banksia and our local community. They have allowed Banksia to continue to deliver continuity of care and support to our clients and residents.
We deeply value every single contribution and will always remember your kindness and generosity.
Update: 10/6/20. Banksia Villages worked with the local Community Industry Group, who created a film that looks at how local aged care providers handled the bushfire crisis. A link to that film is provided here .